Sunday, October 1, 2017

Episode 13

Who Needs Maps?

As you tell the players the size of the building, the possible entrances, and the possible dangers you get a list of questions regarding what you felt you had just described quite well.
Is this a communication disconnect?
Are you not describing it well?
Does the player really give a crap about what you just said?
ANSWER: Yes, no, maybe so 😁

Different players have different needs and styles as I have mentioned before. This means that there will be times that a player will NOT be hanging on every word you spew out.
SHOCKING, but so very true. 😉

In the New Trippers we have decided as a group to not have a traditional map on the table. This does allow for the imagination to run free as the players all interpret what is presenting itself more personally. It also presents some challenges in gameplay.
How big is the facility?
How far are they from me?
How come they can see me I was supposed to be hidden?
These types of questions can be answered quite easily if you have a drawn out map or a prebuilt terrain in front of them. Especially if it is built to scale and has a grid on the map. I have run many games with this type of map. This just happens to be one that we don't.

We are actually using Maps!

We set up a Discord server just for us so that I can communicate certain information to individuals and as a group. Especially if they have acquired a physical map of an area. This makes moving around the area so much easier.

Sometimes I draw them out myself and sometimes I use some of the great resources already online. http://davesmapper.com is one of my favorites since it is quick and you can build an area that may even surprise the game master.

Transmission Station 0624


Make sure to use tools that work for you and your group. Either put out a grid map, terrain, a digital map, etc. I have been known to use everything from a full scaled building all the way down to absolutely nothing, but words. Use what works for the group and ALWAYS be willing to adjust!

-Scooter
@discopreacha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 14

Metagaming and Martyrs I tend to sway on the side of letting a player try anything. The only bound I put is to do your best to keep from m...