Friday, September 8, 2017

Episode 11

Recap, NPCs, and Impromptu Battle

We took a couple weeks off as I was out of town so coming back to the game can be quite a bit of pressure as a game master.

  • What if you forget some key parts of the adventure?
  • What if the recap takes FOREVER and people get bored?

Relax!

If you watch the sessions or read these blogs you know that I take some of the pressure off of myself by having the players do recaps along with myself. This helps me know what they each find important and relevant. My part of the recap this session was listing out some NPCs. Some of them I personally found important and some of them not so much! I mentioned them in no specific order. While discussing some of the characters, some players showed interested in some NPCs that I did not find very relevant.

Add this stuff to your notes! It's good future content!

We had battle!
I had a few different ideas that would lead them in to battle.

  • An reoccurring NPC is in immediate danger
  • A group they have already confronted is in town
  • An old 'friend' has come to collect
  • Even a Battle Royale was in the mix

The only concrete idea was that I was going to lead them in to a battle.
The players are getting more comfortable with their characters so I wanted to give them a chance to express themselves through using the Open Legend RPG system for combat. It also helps me. I mean this is the first continuing adventure I have run with this system. The players were very creative in what they wanted to do. This challenged me as a game master since they expressed actions and attacks that I needed to find out how to make the system work for them. I know that I made mistakes along the way. Mistakes not at the cost of enjoyment.

It's okay to make mistakes!

Making mistakes and being self reflective helps everyone in the adventure grow as individuals and ultimately as a group. I am over the top thankful for our "New Trippers" group.

My thoughts are to have a recap expressed by players lead by the game master, bring up NPCs to see who has interest/disinterest, and expose yourself to mistakes. Bringing everyone in to the loop through open conversation promotes success in having fun!

-Scooter
@discopreacha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 14

Metagaming and Martyrs I tend to sway on the side of letting a player try anything. The only bound I put is to do your best to keep from m...